Thursday, July 15, 2004

Today in Baños

Rain last night and early this morning. Beautiful sunny day from 10 to 3. Rain and sun at the same time at 4 in the afternoon. That is the weather pattern here in Baños. It is never boring. What do the locals do when it rains? They do exactly the same things as when it doesn’t. One Friday afternoon a few weeks ago, there was a parade...all of the schools participated and it was quite good. There were dancing young people in all sorts of uniforms and some groups in Indian traditional dress doing folkloric dances. It rained off and on all day, but they never missed a beat, and as far as I could see no ones spirit was dapened..

This is the rainy season...from June through August I have been told. It is not a heavy rain. Sometimes just a drizzle. Never the gully washers that that I have experienced in desert areas. Coming from a place that rains twice a year it is taking a little getting used to. I still have not bought an umbrella...I dont know why. Maybe I am cheap....cost is $2.50 to $3.00 on the street. Or maybe I believe it will stop in a minute or two and then what am I going to do with an umbrella. I know I am not organized enough to take it with me each time I leave the house, especially if the sun is shining.

The tourist also seems to take it in stride. They may linger a little longer over breakfast but they all seem to enjoy whatever they are doing without complaining about something they can do nothing about.

When is the last time you just sat and watched the clouds. In Mexico, where I lived before I moved here, there were few clouds and fewer cloudy days. Here in Baños I have yet to see a day with out a constant parade drifting from the east to the northwest. Today I sat for an hour watching the ever changing shapes. Like silent slow motion explosions. You turn away for a minute and the whole scene changes. This could be a whole new activity...cloud watching.

I am still, after almost three months here, amazed at how green and beautiful it is. You can stand in the middle of the city, and any direction you look you see the greenest mountains you could ever imagine.

Mosquitoes are not a problem here, at least during May, June and July. I will let you know if there is a problem in other months.

During the past week, the volcanic and seismic activity at Tungurahua continued at moderate levels, including small explosions that resulted in light ash fall on many communities but nothing here in Baños. According to reports there were about 100 long-period earthquakes per day. Incandescence in the crater was observed at night on several occasions.

That is it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment