Saturday, December 01, 2007

Volunteers

It is hard to believe that 2007 is almost history. The year has been full and each day has been an adventure.

Bill and Debbie, volunteers from Scotland will be leaving for home in two weeks and we could use another volunteer, so if you are in the area and want something worthwhile to do please come on by. Our annual Christmas program will be presented on the 13th and you are all invited. Seriously, if you are in Baños we would love to have you visit….You may even want to stay.

When we first started this project, I was a little concerned about having so many different English teachers. I thought that it would be a problem for the kids….Getting attached, (and they do get attached), to one person only to have her leave and then having to get to know another. I have however, dismissed this concern as no problem. The kids are sad to see a friend leave but then they are excited when the next one shows up. They are getting an international course in English and I often wonder what kind of accent they will end up with.

It is wonderful to see the kids learn….I remember just one year ago in October or maybe it was November when we started the program not one word of English was in their vocabulary. Now….I am amazed. The volunteers have been absolutely wonderful.

When I think of the volunteers, I look around and see things that remind me of them….Their presence is still felt. They all left something behind that the children and myself will never forget. The other day Darwin, took the map of the world and pointed to Australia and said Mark and Adriana. All of the kids are like that. You give them a name and they will point to their home country.

Every time I enter the English classroom I see the different colored papers on the walls….showing the alphabet, days of the week, months of the year and “What is your name” and I think of Janneke. The kids will never forget Ian and the trip to the zoo, nor will I. His blue vest that he willed me and I am wearing today….A wonderful person who joined the Salasaca soccer team and helped finish a thatched roof for a family. He was ready to do most anything.

Each time I turn on the water pump I think of Elizabeth who hand delivered the new pump. She hated tomatoes and I can still see her picking them out of salads and soup. She is a beautiful girl and promises to be back next year. When I see the new roof on the old building or see the sign on the library I think of Enda and John. And, Hotel California and Julie are synonymous. Marco from Ireland, said he was born in 1969 and one of the kids said, “We have not had that vintage here since”.

The littlest kids and I water Marco’s apple trees and Adriana’s rose bush everyday. They promised to be back. And when I look at the new school sign or the “Wash Your Hands” in three languages over the sinks by the dining room I think of Ganga and the many nights we sat in the kitchen and played cribbage. And Rachel, a much giving women. I still see her at the kitchen table making up new games to teach new words to the kids and we still play them. And Sonia….from France. One of the easiest women to get along with I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. It did not mater what she was dong, she always loved doing it and if you didn’t giver her anything to do she found something. And now we have Bill and Debbie….They are still with us and when they leave I will miss them as well.

One day we had a couple from Chicago stop by for a visit and stayed three days…. And a young man from Israel who came by for a day and gave us some help.

I thank you all and you can be sure that the children remember you and they talk about each and everyone of you often. You have enriched all of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:59 AM

    Hola Roberto, I was just browsing your blog and remembering the short time Yvonne and I spent on our visit to the school. We both really enjoyed it and were very impressed with the kids. Sorry we could not spend more time there, but we will be back! I have started a new blog/photo journal of our last trip at: http://junglegringosonthecoast.blogspot.com I am planning a nice post about the school and would like to ID the people in the photos if that's okay. I will email you the photos I want to use. Maybe you could ID them and include some comments of your own before I post them on the blog. Keep up the good work down there. Later, J. & Yvonne

    ReplyDelete