Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sumak Kausay Yachay...Good Life With Education.

For almost three years I have been posting the adventures of my life here in Ecuador. Not the, volcano climbing , river running extreme adventures that many seek out, but the adventure of living....One day at a time. I am amazed at number of people who are interested enough in what I am doing here to read, comment and sometimes donates to one cause or another. Some are family, others are friends who I have known and loved in times gone by, but the vast majority are people whom I have never met, and most likely never will.

For what it's worth I would like to tell you a little about me. What I am doing and just maybe you would like to help.

In a few more months I will be 75, and life just gets better and better and fuller and fuller. I am asked often, "why are you here in Ecuador?" My only answer is....who knows. I don't know how many more years I have left on this planet....a day, a month or years? The answer is not important, what is important to me is that I put that time to good use. At times, I feel like Charlie Brown did in a cartoon where he is contemplating the things he has to do, and says...."God has given me so many things to do, and I am so far behind that I may never die." As long as I am healthy and happy....I'll go for that. But when I can no longer function and become a burden to others, I will be ready to give up my space on this earth to someone else.

Meanwhile, life goes on. When I first arrived in Ecuador, I went directly to Baños where I lived for almost a year before moving to San Francisco, about 25 km from Baños on the Pastaza River. A place that is as close to paradise as you could ever find. No telephone, no Internet, water directly from the river and all of the physical work that you could handle. It was wonderful. However, something must have been missing because early in 2006 I ended up in Ambato. Who knows how or why. I had an opportunity to take over a spa that was about to close. "No investment, live on the premises, pay me rent when you can, here are the keys and good luck." Well, the conversation was a little longer than that. But it was easy. So here I am, a year later, spending most of my nights in Ambato...running a business called Splash, Baños de Cajon y Masajes.

I love Baños and I travel there often. I love the San Francisco area and I don´t visit there nearly as often as I would like. Ambato is a city of 200,000 or more, full of cars, people and noise. So why am I here?

Ambato is not a tourist town. It is the capital of the Province of Tungurahua and an industrial center. Living here has given me the opportunity to get to know the Ecuadorian people that are not involved with tourism. How they live, what is important to them and what is not.

Here at the spa I have the opportunity to to talk with the people, listen to the their problems, learn from them what life is really like. My first employee was from Salasaca. A friend of mine brought her over and said she needed a job. She was only 19 and very timid. She talked with her head down and you had to listen very closely to hear her. Now after a year she is outgoing, talks back, and is a good friend. She is now helping me with the English school in her pueblo and I am the "padrino" of her brother....And I am not even catholic.

The spa is not a good business....every month I need to take money from my pocket to pay the bills. So why do I continue?. I have four employees. Each adds something to my life and I add something to theirs. There is Martha....a woman with arthritis, who has no money. She comes three or four days a week with an armful of eucalyptus branches in exchange for a session in the steam box. Another woman comes for a leg massage because she is always in pain.... but has no money to pay. I could go on and on. The paying clients are becoming friends. We talk politics, the need for education, and the tragedy of not being able to go to a doctor because you have no money. So, I listen and learn.

Because of the spa I got to know more of the indigenous people of Salasaca, a community only 14 km away on the road to Baños. When the protests were taking place here in Ambato last year, some of my friends walked the 14 km to chant "No TLC" and "No OXY" in front of the city hall, stopped by for a rest before heading back home by bus. I asked them what is the "TLC". (Free Trade Agreement). Their answer was "I don't know".

Since I believe education is the key to solving many of the political problems in Ecuador, when I was asked if I would give some English lessons to some kids in Salasaca, I could not say no.
Keep in mind that I am not a teacher, but maybe I was better than nothing. So I rented some space and started the English School.

I am glad to say that we now have a girl from Holland who is conducting the classes. In addition to the private classes we now are giving English lessons to the children in the Katitawa School.

Last week, we expanded the space at the private school so we now have a separate room for the library. We have more than 60 books so far, of which most are in Spanish.

The funding for these projects are from my pocket and donations from friends. We are not associated with any government agency or charity. For the time being, we would rather save money by not having to go through a lot of red tape to get things done. Personally, I have everything I need. I have a small income for the rest of my life and I am doing what I can with that. I would however like to move a little faster and if anyone out there in never-never land, would like to help, we would accept your donations gladly.















We are also looking for another volunteer teacher. We can give you a place to live and put food on your table. Let us know if you are interested.

Anyone who made it this far....Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. I've never visited a blog before, but found yours so interesting that I had to sign up in order to have access to comment.

    After reading your latest blog, I realized I found someone who loves Ecuador as much as I. I, too, love the scenic beauty of the country, but my heart really beats to the people of Ecuador...especially the indigenous people.

    I am going to be in Salasaca Feb. 15 thru Feb. 19. Is there anything you need for the school that I could bring with me from the U.S. Are you looking for both English and Spanish books? What age level?

    Hope I get to meet you...I'll stop by the spa and see if you are around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. Regarding the books for the school. We would like more preschool books in English. Childrens story books are also in demand.

    For the library books in English and Spanish are needed for all ages.

    I look forward to meeting you in February.

    Roberto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:16 AM

    hi,
    i stumbled across your website by chance and was affected by the beauty of your enviroment.
    i would love the oppurtunity to volunteer in any way i can.
    what would be the requirements to be met as a teacher?
    yours sincerely,
    Thomas Clarke
    UK

    ReplyDelete